Highlights on this 4 Days Nyungwe forest Chimpanzee habituation experience
Over four hundred of Rwanda’s chimpanzees are observed in Nyungwe wooded area national park and Cyamudongo forest. There are two organizations which are semi-habituated in Nyungwe and another is in Cyamudongo.
On occasion chimp trekking in Nyungwe woodland is effortlessly mixed with gorilla trekking in volcanoes national park. The new Gishwati-mukura countrywide park also has some chimpanzee.
Chimpanzee Trekking is somehow different from the mountain gorilla trekking experience, where-by unlike the mountain gorillas, the chimps are moving constantly around and at high speeds, jumping from tree to tree making noise. But for the case of gorillas, they are found sitting eating quietly within the forest clearings. Gorillas are very shy and aggressive while the chimpanzees are stubborn and very jumpy.
The other major difference between these two is the tracking experiences, where by for Gorillas one is usually allowed one hour of observing and taking photos of them, but with the chimpanzee tracking in Rwanda, there is no limit, keeping up with them is also the main challenge and the biggest determining factor of the amount of time that is spent with them. Of all the primates that are found in the Nyungwe forest, it’s the chimpanzees that are the famous ones and core wildlife attractions in this national park.
Items to pack for this Chimp Tour
- Hiking boots
- A rain jacket
- Gardening gloves
- Camera and extra batteries
- Pair of Binoculars
- Hat and Sun Glasses
- Long sleeved shirt or blouse
- Energy giving snacks and drinks
Some of Chimpanzee Tour Guide lines
- A distance of just about 8 metres is very important between you and the chimps.
- People with diseases such as flue or diarrhea may not allowed in the park.
- Avoid eating near the chimps.
- Children below the age of 12 are prohibited from entering the park.
- Guide is the only one to help get access to the forest.
- Chimps need freedom therefore no provoking them once you enter the park.
- Flash photography are not allowed in the park.
Other activities in Nyungwe Forest
- Colobus Monkey Tracking
- Canopy walk
- Bird Watching
- Congo-Nile Divide Trail
For the best experience to our customers, below services are guaranteed:
- Chimpanzee Permit (for chimpanzee trekking safaris)
- Gorilla Permit (for gorilla trekking safaris)
- Full Board Accommodation on Safari
- Transportation in either 4X4 Safari Van or 4X4 Safari Land Cruiser all with Pop up roof & AC
- Professional English Speaking driver guide. Any other foreign language speaking guide can be arranged on request.
- Entrance fees to the tourist sites including Protected areas mentioned
- Activity fees of the tourist activities mentioned
- Bottled water while on safari
- Border crossing fees (for cross border safaris)